Saturday, June 27, 2009

Indefinite Integrals

Here is a problem on the first homework for my Calculus II class. I thought it was pretty nice so here you go!

Use to help evaluate the integrals:



To be able to evaluate this integral using the stipulations above, we have to rewrite it in such a way that looks more familiar. One way this can be done is by rewriting the integrand using as a substitution for x/2.


Because we have exchanged x/2 for theta we also have to change dx to .



Substitute then we will have:


Now doesn't this look familiar?

If it does look familiar, you should notice that it is a part of the identity:


Do some rearranging and we get this:


Now we can rewrite the integral again and get:


Okay don't get too excited! We're not done yet! Remember that


Plug these back into the equation, do the cancellations and we get:


Integrate to get the final answer:



That was fun right?! I thought so! :]

I'm not going to go through the second integral because it's basically the same thing. Try it for yourself and you should get the answer:

No comments:

Post a Comment